Municipal Service Tax
What is the Municipal Service Tax (MST)?
The funds generated by the Municipal Service Tax go to the maintenance, repair, and improvement of streets and roads, as well as fire suppression activities, including removal of vegetation.
How much money is raised?
|Fiscal Year||MST Revenues|
Where Does the Money Go?
- Street Improvement Projects - Maintenance, repair, and improvement of streets and roads
- Fire Prevention & Vegetation Management Program - Fire suppression activities, including removal of vegetation
What is the current MST tax rate?
In 2016, City Council adopted a resolution to set the rate at $266 (for Year 1) per single family residence with an annual adjustment of 2% to keep up with inflation. Learn more about MST tax rates.
Can MST funds be used for purposes other than maintenance of roads and fire suppression activities?
No. MST funds cannot be used for general government purposes. The money collected is restricted and may only be used for the maintenance of roads and fire suppression activities.
When will the MST expire?
The tax began in the 2017/2018 fiscal year and will expire following fiscal year 2026/2027.
Is there a senior exemption?
The MST exempts low-income senior citizens. If you would like to apply for a Senior Exemption, please contact the Public Works Administrative Aide at email@example.com or call 415-384-4800. Please include your name, mailing address, the parcel number(s) of the property, and the best way to reach you. Forms will be mailed to interested residents in April of each year. The forms will also be posted at the City website at that time.
The tax has been a hugely successful, stable, and local funding source, allowing the City of Mill Valley to stay vigilant on both road repairs and fire prevention efforts.
Resolutions & Notices
- 01-17-2017 - Ordinance Number 1287 Authorizing the Levy Special Tax (PDF)
- 01-17-2017 - Resolution Number 17-01 Declaring Results of the Special Election (PDF)
- 02-01-2017 - Notice of Special Tax Lien (CFD Number 2016-1) and APN Data (PDF)
- 06-20-2016 - Resolution Number 16-26 Adopting Amended and Restated Goals Mello-Roos (PDF)
- 06-20-2016 - Resolution Number 16-29 Intention to Form CFD Number 2016-1 (PDF)
- 08-01-2016 - Resolution Number 16-39 - Resolution of Formation (PDF)
- 08-01-2016 - Resolution Number 16-40 - Calling Special Election and City Attorney Impartial Analysis (PDF)
- 08-01-2016 - Resolution Number 16-41 - Request Consolidation and Election Services (PDF)
- 08-01-2016 - Resolution Number 16-42 - Authorizing Written Argument (PDF)